We treat both structural and functional intestinal failure.
Structural intestinal failure
This is also called short-bowel syndrome.
SBS is often caused by surgery to remedy the following:
- Intestinal Atresia
- Mid-gut Volvulus / Bowel Malrotation
- Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC)
- Trauma to the Abdomen
- Crohn's Disease
- Superior Mesenteric Thrombosis
- Enterocutaneous Fistula
Functional intestinal failure
This is caused by the intestine's inability to absorb or digest food or fluids. In this case, length isn't the problem, it is just that the intestine isn't working properly.
This can be caused by:
- Chronic Intestinal Pseudo-obstruction (CIPS)
- Hirschsprung's Disease
- Intestinal Dysmotility
- Total Colonic Aganglionosis
- Microvillous Inclusion Disease
- Tufting Enteropathy
- Radiation Enteritis
- Mitochondrial Disorders
- Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Intestinal Disease