Preparing for your ultrasound Exam
Patients are requested to wear loose comfortable clothing for ultrasound. Patients may be asked to wear a gown for the examination as well. Patients will be asked to remove all clothing and jewelry in the region being imaged.
Additional preparations may be required depending on the type of scan performed. Radiology staff will inform patients of the specific preparation for the exam.
- Please plan on showing up 15 minutes prior to scheduled exam time
- Expect the scan to take approximately 1 hour
- Results will be given to the ordering physicians office within 24 hrs
Specific examples of common preparations are as follows:
- Fasting (NPO – nothing by mouth) after midnight or NPO 8 hrs if scan is later in afternoon for adults, NPO 4 hrs for children
- Abdominal Ultrasound
- Gallbladder Ultrasound
- Aorta Ultrasound
- Show up to the appointment with a full bladder – Drink 36 to 48oz of fluid one hour before the appointment time – Don’t void before appointment
- Pelvic Ultrasound
- Kidney (Retroperitoneum) Ultrasound
- OB / Pregnancy (all trimesters) Ultrasound